With NW of 8 (20) April 1835 established as a Municipality of the District Municipality Egialias Voura with 1442 inhabitants and population based in Voura (current switch). The Citizen called Vouraios.
The City Diakopto was established in 1999 KAPODISTRIA Law (2539/97) and originated from the merger of the following 12 former Communities (now City District): Switches - upper switch - ELAIONAS - ELIKIS - Zachloritika - Catholic - KYRENIA - MAMOUSIAS - Nicolaika - Rizomilo - RODIAS - Trapezas.
With the "Kallikrates" the Municipality Diakopto merged with former municipalities Aigion Aigeiras, Akrata Erineos and formed the Confederacy and municipality Aigialeia
On 23.09.2000 Twinning agreement signed by D. D. Elaionas switch with the Decentralisation Olive Amfissa, to develop relations and cooperation between the municipalities and their cultural institutions.
Dennis Papagiannopoulos - Switches, 1912 - Athens, 1984
Born in Diakofto Achaia in 1912 and died in Athens in 1984. Actor of theater and cinema that stood out in particular roles seemingly rigid, strict morals, but kind-hearted father in the background of various heroes of film and theatrical comedies.
In few of the 163 films he shot when he was given the opportunity to play a leading role, he showed that he had an even wider interpretation. He studied at the Drama School of the National Theatre and first appeared on stage at the National (then Royal) Theatre in 1938, in King Lear, a role that gave him his teacher Emil Veakis.
Collaborated with theater companies Marika birds, Aronis-Horn-Hatziskos Synodinou of Mousouri, Dinos Iliopoulos. By the mid 1950's he appeared in roles of classical repertoire, and later began appearing in light comedies both in theater and cinema. His first film appearance was in 1947 in the film Children of Athens Takis Bakopoulos. An important role was in the film Voyage to Cythera (1984) by Theo Angelopoulos
Three ancient cities were within the limits of the current municipal units (Helice, Kyrenia and Voura) was the most important Eliki which since its inception in Mycenaean times until its destruction in 373 AD by a strong earthquake, was the capital of the whole of Achaia ...
Here was the famous temple of Poseidon Helicon, Panhellenic sanctuary of the Ionians, with bronze statue of the god was holding in his hand the hippocampus. In two bronze coins of the city have been preserved in the Berlin Museum, depicting Neptune with the inscription helix. The research for the discovery of Helice starting in mid-century and thanks to recent systematic excavations found the first strong evidence for the existence of the land between the modern villages of the helix, and the Rizomilo Nicolaitans.
The territory of Helice reached inside until Mamousia lower, perhaps extending to the Zachloritika where visible ruins of walls and fortifications. The first excavation in helix showed that over the buried ruins of the ancient city was built in Roman times another settlement of the same name, as attested by ancient writers. Since the earthquake of 373 AD destroyed, except the helix and the neighboring city of vour but which was rebuilt by the inhabitants who survived. The Voura, which was associated particularly with the propeller, it is believed that he was in the area between the river and Vouraikos Ladopotamos.
The mountainous portion extending into the area south of the Castle Bank've saved some visible ruins. In the area of vour rocks south of Olive was the prophetic cave Vouraikos Hercules, which identified Traces of antiquity.
The research for the discovery of the archaeological site of Ancient Helice have, in the last two years, in the light really impressive results. The continuous and persistent efforts of the Friends of Ancient Helice, the former City of switches (and most of the City Egialias) and staff archaeologist Mrs Dora Katsonopoulou succeeded in removing from the state of the financial "blockade" and the rapid progress of research efforts.
The results of these investigations were presented in three events that took place in the municipality stopped, and those who attended really impressed. The test trenches, held last year, the area between Nicolaitans and propellers revealed several objects, walls, etc. burial remains a long period, from the Archaic to the Roman period. The geological findings seem to strongly confirm seismic events and the existence in Lake earthquake resulted in 371 BC
But the most important revelation for dramatic paved road, 500 meters long, wide and well built, which is likely to be part of the famous route of Pausanias, connecting with Achaia Sicyon. If confirmed this version, it is now a matter of years, the discovery of the ancient city.
In ancient Kyrenia systematic excavations have been made by both the British School of Archaeology (House classics years) and the Archaeological Service (Hellenistic memorial, cemetery Archaic-Classical-Hellenistic and Roman times). For the monuments of the area there are numerous scientific publications and recent sponsored doctoral thesis on the Hellenistic memorial and cemetery of the ancient city.
The most important monument of the ancient city, the Hellenistic memorial has been fenced off and accommodated, and there standing guard. The site is open, and outside the monument above is partially visible and the ancient city walls, and have installed signs in the archaeological site. In the region there are certainly many monuments and other structures (such as church, theater, walls) to be excavated. For this reason, have been proposed and studied expropriations in order to make systematic excavation and enhance the site.
Antiquities of the Area
In Castle Breakers (Ancient Voura) exercised archaeological protection, according to the old declaration of 1976. The competent Ephorate prepares epanakiryxi and clear delineation of the site and capture the visible remains. St. Stephen Hill Zachloritika, following the recent declaration and delimitation of the site, preparing the imprinting of surviving antiquities visible.
In Local Community Nicolaitans came to light accidentally-from illicit manufacture Tank mikinaiko cemetery. Without the permission of the competent services in this way was drilled and constructed water supply tank destroying Mycenaean chamber tombs and poorly then no excavation was conducted. The area was declared an archaeological and October 1995 the competent Ephorate began excavation of the graves after archaiokapilikes activities observed there.
The excavation was interrupted by owners of plots, which do not allow it to continue before the expropriation of their properties which are Mycenaean tombs. The competent Authority has put forward a proposal for expropriation of property in order to continue the excavation. In Mamousia (Ancient Kyrenia) is the largest archaeological site in the area of Aegialia (3,321 acres), are reflected remains visible throughout the site, is placed at the entrance guardhouse and no permanent archaiofylakas ekskafikes controlling the operations and agricultural activities in the region.
The competent Ephorate has launched proposals expropriation of properties, some of which are completed. He has, moreover, made shelter in Greek Heroes and rebuilt its walls. In Local Community Zachloritika saved and marked on (for convenience) manti Cave Vouraikos Hercules.